Monday, March 05, 2007

The past year - I hardly knew ya

Today is a nice day...a magical day even. I think I may go eat a huge bowl of lucky charms while scratching off lottery tickets and chasing rainbows singing Irish drinking songs. Today I have been gone for a year. Last year at this time I was flying to Norfolk in a cloud of uncertainty and fear, looking into the barrel of what I thought at the time was going to be 12 months away from home. Turns out 12 months was optimistic as it will be closer to 14 or 15.

We did get some good news the other day, we were given actual dates of when we are leaving, flying out and getting back to Norfolk. For obvious reasons I won't be putting all that down here, but suffice to say its a bit earlier than it could have been, and it's just nice to know.

CDR Nail finally made it back home for leave. He was the last of our group to go. By the time he gets back, we will have just over a month left. Hopefully he is having a good time.

The Afghans are on auto pilot at this point. I go in, I watch how they are doing, and step in if need be. They have a major end of year inspection this month (their new year is around the 20th of March, whoo hoo, 1386 here we come!) and I have just watched as they are able to pull out and show all of our inventories, describe their communications plans and just generally show they know what they are talking about. I am really happy with their growth. It will be interesting to see if the US side starts pulling back out of the Garrison after we leave to let them grow on their own. At some point, we are more of a hindrance than a help, just by the mere fact of being around.

Gary

No comments: