Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Winter has arrived

Sorry about the long delay in between entries. It honestly has been really quiet and I didn't have anything to write about.

They more or less finished the camp expansion via B-huts, at least round one of the expansion. I had pictures, but my memory card for my camera died, so I lost some. I will replace them and get them posted.

Speaking of B-huts, our new Marine group has arrived, and the old Marines have moved out into the new B-huts. I haven't met but a couple of them, they seem like decent guys. Unlike our current group, this group came in as a unit, and knew each other and have worked together before. Should make for an easier transition. After this current group of Marines leaves, we are the elder statesmen of this place. Scary. When you look back on it, the turnover rate is really high considering most of us are here for 6+ months.

Some new Navy folks arrived a week or so ago. A couple officers came in to augment our Garrison team which was 1 short due to Andy leaving for the airport, and I think 7 enlisted with various specialties. It's sorta nice to not have just the 6 of us Navy guys here as we were seriously outnumbered by every other service, but it was also nice to know everyone so well. We are a little more anonymous now.

Zak has his engagement party tomorrow. I still haven't broken the code on when this event occurs, but for him its now. It's a formal event with certain things that must take place, and a requirement for the marriage. I will try to figure all that out and I will let you know. He is supposed to give me an invitation even though I can't go. I told him it would be a neat thing for me to keep hold of. I had posted a long time ago - I think - that Zak met his future wife at school. That was a bit off....he SAW her at school. He then had his family contact her family and they arranged all this. They have yet to speak to each other. Shocking how normal arranged marriages are to them.

Kabul decided to skip Fall / Autumn this year. We went from nice summer weather to full blown winter in one day. It's been very pleasant into the low 70's during the day, but this week our high is now in the 40's. No snow here yet, but in the mountains to our east and west they got some. I expect it here before too long. Zak has been telling me since Sept that "next" month it will get cold, his prediction finally came true. I think he should be a weather man.

Gary

No comments: