Sunday, February 25, 2007

Origami for the mechanically declined

With some free time in an afternoon and way too much time spent finding odd web pages, I stumbled on one that let me learn a new skill. It was a tutorial to fold dollar bills into shapes! Some were way above my ability and more importantly patience level, but I did manage to master folding a bill into a collared shirt with little sleeves :) Don't ask, I was just happy I managed to get at least one of them down! Pictures added per request. here.

My roommate from when I first got to Blackhorse is a Marine. He left in November and I talked to him the other day and he is now back in theater but this time in Iraq. I'd feel bad for him more than I do, but he volunteered. I wish him the best.

Six months or so ago, we got a HUGE plotter from the ANA Corps guys....I never wanted it and subsequently refused to help the ANA guys set it up due to lack of space and really lack of usefulness. We moved into an office that has enough space for a volleyball game, so the space issue being gone, I decided to hook it up. We have been playing over the last few days and I ended up having to print a huge picture of the Garrison Commander with the General and Karzai. He is going to hang it up in the chow hall. The Afghans just adore pictures of themselves - especially a 2ft by 3ft picture of themselves. I printed a panoramic of downtown St. Louis I took from the arch and hung it up in my room. It's almost like looking out a window and seeing downtown.

We have a new mission that we have been given. I say we....it's a 201st Corps mission, not a Navy mission, but regardless changes are happening that are affecting us as well. The ANA mission is going really well, the ANP (Afghan National Police) mission isn't going so well so they are moving some manpower in that direction. To that end they needed extra vehicles, so yesterday I was informed I had to give up my truck. Thrilling. Not a huge deal, more annoying than a real problem as I am resourceful :) I parlayed my massive picture for the Garrison Commander into a new vehicle as I requested to borrow a Garrison truck and he said ok. I have a different truck, but at least I am not walking.

The ANA came up with cap devices for the E-7 and above to wear on their beret. I was fortunate enough to present the E-7 I have - Ali Dost aka Ponch - with his insignia. Pictures are here.

87 wonderful days left in the land down under. I think I am getting delusional.

Gary

No comments: