Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Superbowl and Poker

We had a Superbowl party for the entire camp, which for our time zone started at 330am. It actually was a really good turnout, I think mainly for the food they were serving. Most people didn't have a particular allegiance to either team, although there were some hard cores. It was sorta odd watching it without the commercials, considering thats what everyone talks about anyway. I was torn in who to root for as I really like Peyton Manning, but I also like Lovie Smith and was a Bears fan as a kid. In the end, I picked the Colts as my team to root for, although I sorta felt bad for the Bears at the end. Regardless, it was fun, and much different than my experience with the World Series where I was essentially alone until Game 7, and even then it was only about 5 of us watching.

Prior to the game we held a poker tournament. Now, according to general order #1, which I have spoken about before, we aren't allowed to play for money. What they do to keep it interesting is everyone throws in a one time $20 fee, and then they went out and bought titanium bracelets that say OEF APT (Operation Enduring Freedom Afghanistan Poker Tour). Just something to play for, so its not just a free for all. Anyway, it was my first time playing during a bracelet week (they hold that event every other week, the between weeks have no prizes). Even though it started at 2am, it was their best turn out to date, with 20 people playing. I ended up playing pretty well and 3 or 4 hours later I ended up winning. It was the most fun I've had at from 2am to 5am that didn't involve alcohol :) I finished 2nd last week in a non bracelet week, so it was fun to rebound with a good performance this week, it also made staying awake for the game much easier!

This is COMPLETELY unrelated to my time here, but I ran across this headline and had to share it. The article is safe for work, it just struck me really funny and I laughed for several minutes. It's here.

Gary

No comments: