Monday, January 22, 2007

Pavlov was a genius

As you know, my truck hasn't started the past few days, 3 in fact. Bob was staying at Blackhorse today, so I borrowed his. Now he warned me before and I've seen it in action about the dogs around the base. Whenever they see him coming, they just barrel towards his truck. See he brings dog bones, beef jerky and whatever else we have laying around that no one wants and feeds the wild dogs. Some of them are puppies that are just incredibly cute so it's fairly easy to want to help. Anyway, because of this, when they see his truck they come a runnin'. I rode with him two days ago and saw it first hand. I thought sure it was because they could see him in the truck and just knew it was him. There are literally hundreds of the EXACT same truck (brown ford pickup's) all over so its not the sight of his vehicle that is causing this. Well in the course of borrowing his truck, I figured I would be dog free because well, I am not him. Shows what I know. As soon as I got near the site where they hang out, they came out of the woodwork. Amazing actually. In driving around a little, I think I figured it out. His brakes squeak, and the place we go, you have to brake to get over a speed bump, and I am sure that they hear that sound and know its him. The have been conditioned to know that when they hear that squeak, they get fed a min or two after. I guess I should have taken some milk bones out with me...I was woefully unprepared.

Speaking of my truck, I FINALLY got it to start today. Managed to jump it once it got above freezing, and it's running as I type this. I want a nice full battery for the morning.

Being as I had a truck again today, I was able to do some errands that I was meaning to do. One of the things I needed to check on was the office that had the power strip plugged in with matches. Was it fixed? Of course not. So, as promised, I took a picture. And then stole the power strip and found them one with a real plug. You can see it here.

I forgot to mention this at the time, but we crossed over the 8 month mark a few days ago. Again, these monthly markers are really helpful and let us know we are making progress.

Gary

No comments: