Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Repent - the end is near

We got the good news that our reliefs are in country and working towards heading our way. I imagine by this weekend or early next week, I will actually see them. Not sure if I ever mentioned in an earlier blog that in the first iteration of relief assignments, I wasn't getting one. If I did, forget it, I am getting one now. I think it's good overall, I have a feeling they would start a slow slide backwards without some adult supervision at times.

To keep the good news in check - we were told that when they get here, we have to move out of our rooms on the same day and move out to the tents or b-huts. I am not particularly thrilled about that, but its been really pleasant outside, and honestly, if its a means to an end, I am not going to complain one bit.

I've been packing and mailing boxes home. I acquired a whole bunch of stuff while I was here, and I really didn't want to move it all back, on my back. The US Postal service gets the assist on that one. I am going to be carrying home about 50% less than I carried here, so that makes the trip back less strenuous. They have also given us the ability to turn in some of our gear at Camp Phoenix and then some at the airport on the last day, so the load lightens again in another week or two. It's becoming real enough though, that its almost surreal. I will cope, no need to worry.

We have another checklist item this week, and one next week and then I think it's just marching time until the day comes to leave.

20something days left.

Gary

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm marching time right along with you, sweetheart... Can't wait to have you home with me where you belong. :-)

Anonymous said...

Gary, Rangers have two conflicting attitudes about how much crap to take to the field, bring home, etc. The hard-core-and-stupid attitude says "travel light and freeze at night". The wuss attitude says "take more than you need and bring back more than you took". You be the judge!? Jack