Friday, September 22, 2006

4 months down - another lousy day

Well, every once in a while, I wake up thinking, wow, this is going to be a good day and then I am utterly amazed at how fast it goes to crap. Today I woke up, and being Thursday, it's our Friday. I get tomorrow off and that usually makes for a pretty good start to my day. Unfortunately, as I was leaving for work today, Steve came and told me what they discussed at breakfast, and it immediately soured me on this country, this tour and this situation in general. First of all, he mentions there is now a cell of female suicide bombers in the Kabul area, great, more wack jobs intending to kill coalition soldiers. I am REAL tired of the sect here that has decided its such a terrible thing for us to bring them democracy and white bread. Also, Ramadan starts up this weekend and I have been reading that the Taliban and Al Qaeda here have piles of bombers ready to go and are going to step up the attacks during the month of Ramadan. More fun.

Secondly, he tells me that MPRI (its a contracting company that is training prison guards here at the ole Pol-e-Charki prison) caught an interpreter of theirs stealing a cell key. With a bit more tugging, they found out he was working with the Taliban and that his cell phone number was on a watch list. Great. The set of guys SUPPOSEDLY on our side .....argh. Needless to say, I went in to work a bit edgy and Zak (my interpreter) got the brunt of my irritated mood. We discussed this interpreter, suicide bombings, intolerance, the pope and other nice touchy subjects. He is a really good kid, he is the supposed definition of Islam, accepting and peaceful, but he is part of a system that supports this crap and I called him on it. It just angers me to know I am here giving a year of my life for people who don't give a damn if I live or die.

On a much more less serious note, a new Navy guy showed up, and was immediately given a room with one of the Army guys.....two of them in one room. He is the same rank I am, has been here 2 days and gets a double, vs tripling up like Bob, Steve and I. It's not that I would have moved, but jeez, at least offer it to us, the ones that have been here 4 months. Argh. It was just a pile it on sorta deal.

I just figured out the other day that people read this. I use it mainly to vent, share fun stuff and to get thoughts out. I have NO clue how many people actually read this, especially those that read it on a regular basis. I have subsequently added tracking to the site to get an idea of visitors and where they are coming from, BUT if you want to help, leave me a comment lemme know your first name, last initial and city you are in.

Sorry about the negativity, some times its a good one, some times its a bad one. Welcome to the days that are Gary's life. Ill try to end positive, I am 4 months down, 8 to go, I get leave in 3 months and I am making progress!

Gary

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mom likes your blog (surprise!)

Unknown said...

Kara
Your future wife
You know where
:-)

Anonymous said...

Hang in there...you are in my book of good wishes and prayers..pfa

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting what you have to say. I am learning alot from 1st hand info instead of the news...hang in there and be safe..
Dana :)
Cumming

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary! Knowing your personality really helps while I read this. Your personality really shows through in your writtings, and I have fun checking this out. Thanks! (Can you set this comment section to have spell check so I don't look stupid?) Ray, SD CA.

Anonymous said...

Val & Chad read your blog. "Outlaws" are good for something, huh? (-:
White and Nerdy in Tennessee.

Joann said...

Gary
I read your blog often. Sometimes I share them with my class - mostly the pictures. My third and fourth grade students are collectng supplies for the children that you mentioned before.
We pray for you often both at school and at home. We love you and miss you and can't wait for your safe return.
Joann

Unknown said...

Your brother and sis-in-law say hi!

Anonymous said...

Gary, It's a fact - sometimes the world we live in sucks. Thank GOD for those (like you) who continue to move through life observing, questioning, fighting to help the ones that really matter, and shaking your fist in defiance at those who don't. God's a funny guy. You will never know (in this life) the impact of all the positive things you are doing in Afghanistan. The incredible thing is you may change the course of human events with a pack of pencils, or a toy handed to a child, or a ten minute conversation with your interpreter. It doesn't matter that you may never know. That's faith. You have "friends" all over the globe who have never seen you, yet respect you for what you do. I used to share quotes with my soldiers when things got real bad. Here's one for you by Theodore Roosevelt. "It's not the critic who counts, or how the strong man stumbled and fell, or whether the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly yet falls short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, and spends himself in a worthy cause, and if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly so that he will never be with those cold and timid souls who never know either victory, or defeat." I may have mangled a few words but that's the gist. Hang in there Gary. We're behind you and you are doing the right (and difficult) thing. Jack

Anonymous said...

You know I read your blog. I wish I didn't have to, because I wish you weren't over there.

It's about time you started writing a few more sentences. Tossing it out into the universe is therapy. It worked for me. Of course, I was simply chained to a desk in misery living through Office Space, while you are facing real danger.

Please stay in one piece.

But Homer, on your way out, if you feel like killing someone, it would help me a lot.

(attrib. Matt Groenig)

Dave L
Chicago

Anonymous said...

I love to your read your blog and recently started forwarding it to all my employees (about 25). It gives all of us a clearer picture of what is going on over there and I vote that it should replace the evening news.

Thank you for writing it and be safe.
Diane (your moms favorite cousin :)

Jo said...

Hey Gary. I love your blogs...I check it daily to see if there are any updates. I find them to be interesting and learn alot.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary--I ditto Jack...Judy and I have you in our prayers and good wishes...Stay safe, and let's plan on going to a CARDS game next season!