Sunday, September 03, 2006

The great Blackhorse flood!

HOLY CRAP. I had to say yesterday that nothing exciting has happened didn't I? Well, today it rained, again, and we are talking Noah, his ark, and the doubled up animals kinda rain. At first it was like yesterday, came down, sounded normal, but it got worse and worse. Hail again, big stuff...some of it like a small golf balls, but that went away fast. I took a couple pictures, a bit of video and went back inside to wait it out. It picked up yet again, and really poured for a good hour or two. The next thing I know, I get a phone call from Steve telling me to come outside to see this, and then he abruptly tells me never mind, he can't get in as the front gate is flooded. This I have to see, and honestly, I wasn't prepared for what I saw. This place is DRY, dry dry DRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. Always. We have a huge ravine for lack of a better word behind us, that is probably 70/80 ft wide and 50 ft deep, its ALWAYS dry. I walked out the back door, hopped up on the hesco wall and saw the Colorado river flowing behind us. I will try to upload the video, not sure if Picasa will let me. It was amazing, I couldn't see the ravine, or any of the surrounding land. It was protruding up and was 3 feet high up against our walls. We are in a flood plain more or less, but since its dry all the time, no one cares - until it rains excessively. The front gate was in fact flooded, the water was backed up and came in the front gate and worked its way through 3/4s of the camp. Our dining hall had a foot of water, the gym had about 6 inches. Fortunately the building I am in is at the high point of the camp and only the outer edges were damp, everything inside was dry. Even once the rain stopped, the water rose because it was pouring off the surrounding mountains and ran right through the middle of the base. An hour after the rain stopped, the water started receding and you can see in some of the pictures here the water line on the Humvee tires and some of the walls. Our dogs had a good time if you can tell, they were like pigs in well... Anyway, it was just incredible to watch, although now we are in cleanup mode for the next few days. So much for being bored lately! :)

Gary

No comments: