Monday, September 25, 2006

One small step for Gary, one giant leap for the ANA

Three day weekends have a way of making you feel a little better about life. I went into the office today, first time since Thursday (Ramadan, they took days off, so I did as well), and I see Muhammad Ali crowing about the printer. Its been out of toner for about 2 weeks and I have been working diligently to get them used to filling out the correct paper work for the supply folks to get the stuff we need. They have a habit of just begging me...but the way I look at it, at some point, I am going home at which point they should really know how to do this on their own. We are here to teach them how to do it right, not to give hand outs. I remind him of this weekly, sometimes daily. Anyway, he was pointing to the printer and I notice a new box of toner that was opened. Through Zak, I asked him what the deal was and low and behold, without me, he filled out the paperwork, took it to the supply guys and got himself some toner! I was very happy, it was utterly amazing.

Another it's a small world thing happened this week. We have Marines who are in charge here, and honestly, other than the Comm guy I don't interact with them much. I happened to run into the XO the other day and previously I had heard him talk of being from or living in St. Louis. Strangely enough he was at the recruiting district in St. Louis at the exact same time I was. We both mentioned that we thought the other looked familiar but never put it together. We never really interacted at the recruiting district either as he was the Marine XO and I was looking for college kids silly enough to join the Navy. We had an office maybe 50 ft apart and we end up in this place together. Weird eh?

It was really pleasant here today. Temps were probably in the low 70s with no humidity, it was a great fall day. It's nice to not go outside and bake....although I imagine fall here is pretty short and I will be in full blown winter sooner rather than later. Fine with me, its one more season down. Once it starts to warm up again, I am outta here.

If someone could get the Cardinals a left handed reliever that doesn't give up late inning home runs, I would really appreciate it. It would do wonders for my morale here.

Gary

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Look on the bright side, my Sweetheart... If the Cards blow it this year, you'll be back next year for the WS in our Season Ticket seats! :-)

Love you!
Kara

Anonymous said...

Gary,

Glad to read about the positive turn of events! Sometimes victory is measured in inches:-) I've always loved great quotes, probably because I was never original enough to produce my own but could hear an inspirational one and memorize it almost instantly. Anyway, here's another one I recited routinely with the Hooahs. "On the beaches of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory laid down to rest, and there resting, died." Not sure who the author is (it's attributed to about a half dozen people) but who cares... it's powerful.

Later my friend... Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Ken S. said...

Glad to see your hanging in there Gary. Looks like your having a heck of a life experience. Take care of yourself and be safe.