Friday, September 29, 2006

Crisis averted

My boss' boss sent out an email the other day, letting us know they are starting to look at next year's rotation of guys. He told us that it wasn't too early to let him know if we wanted to stay another year. FAT CHANCE. Well, Steve started thinking about it and was seriously considering staying here in this backwards third world hole of a country. Bob and I spent days trying to convince him what a horrible idea it was. I mean really....if you want to come back here, go home, take a break and volunteer, the Navy will be more than happy to toss you back over here. Hell, get a job as a contractor and come back here making double what we make now....at least that's financially advantageous. Last night at the 11th hour when he had to make a decision, stuff we were saying started sinking in and he backed off his ideas of staying. I feel better for him.....if he would have volunteered, he would have about 19 months left here. I think he will be really happy come next June and he isn't spending his summer in this heat, with the wafting camel odor.

Bob heads home on his two week leave on Monday, so he will be out of the room for probably three weeks total. This is good for a couple reasons. He is really the first one to go on leave at a reasonable time (Andy went in July for a wedding), so it is much more real that we are actually making progress here. It also means that when he gets back, I will be within a week or two of the half way mark. I think once we get to that point, and we are on the downhill part of this fun, it will be much easier for me to deal with the crap that comes up. The second half contains my leave, and our reliefs showing up, so really, even though there will be six months left, I only have to deal with about five of it.

Ok...seriously, for those of you not Cardinal fans, I don't care. I am frustrated. How do you cough up a 7.5 game lead with 10 games to play? It's hard to even look at the scores anymore. It will make for a frustrating October for me if they blow this. You will all have to read much more of Angry Gary, and no one wants that! Go Braves!

Gary

2 comments:

Jo said...

Gary,

It is harder actually watching the games that reading about them. I take that back, it is just plain miserable either way. I never thought I would be saying it, but definitely GO BRAVES!!

bacchus boy said...

I have watched the last 2 games in person and I still feel we will win this thing. First, the Astros cant win them all. 2nd the Cards are at home, still could lose tonight, fall .5 back, win the rest and even if the Astros win the rest the Cards force a 1 game playoff in Houston. Oct, Houston, Albert Pujos, I think I remember the last time this happened. With the return of Mike Martz (Go Rams)~Pennant Race and the OctFest ~~~~Hold on to your hats, it is going to be one wild weekend!