Saturday, September 30, 2006

You can't sneak the sun past the rooster

Day started off great today.....woke up to a Cardinal lead and they held on. Found out shortly after that Atlanta won as well, so it was a good morning. Lets just hope for the exact same outcome today so they can rest the starters on Sunday.

Commander Nail's daughter had a baby last night late our time, so he broke out the cigar's today and we all smoked them out back. It was also a good time to burn our address labels and customs forms that we have been saving up. You have to burn them or the Afghans go through the trash and get your home address. Weird eh? Anyway, we sat out back playing with fire and smoking cheap cigars. Bob had been working on a class for the Navy and finished it and wanted to burn his books so we tossed those in too. Would have been fun except there was no beer, and we are in Afghanistan.

I work for the ANA Garrison here, and they are basically in charge of the base. They have tenants here and one of them is the 201st corps for the ANA. The corps doesn't have any computer expertise on the US side so I went up to help them with some anti-virus, and firewall installs. We did about 15 machines today, and 3 of them had over 500 virus'. Ack. It's what they get for using pirated software. So much of what I do here is just getting them to understand why what they are doing is so wrong for keeping the machines running properly.

Kara sent me a great book on a recommendation called Lee's Lieutenants - A study in command. I will be reading for a while as it's 806 pages. Sokay, I have really been into reading again lately, its weird how I cycle here. I go through spurts of not wanting to read, or not wanting to be on the internet or whatever, and then after about a month, I completely switch. I think its from being stuck here so much.

I have also been blogging more lately....I guess its from frustration. Doesn't matter I suppose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gary,

Glad you're enjoying Lee's Lts. It's one of my favorites. It ought to keep you going for a while since there are three volumes... all about 800-900 pages.

best,

Jack