Friday, October 06, 2006

Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?

The title is a quote from the Movie - Major League - if you haven't seen it, its a must watch. It's appropriate because obviously the San Diego Padres, despite the name, do not have Jesus in their line up. The Cards threw curve ball after curve ball into the warm Southern California sun and watched as the Pads swung helplessly. These same pitchers that merely a week ago couldn't figure out how to get one out, completely shut down a fairly well balanced offensive team. Great to watch. Good thing was that even though I was once again up until 4:30am, it's my day off so I was able to sleep in. I watched the Yanks lose the first game, which was great, and then saw the improbable Cardinals take both games in San Diego. Should be a fun one to watch them close out.

I picked up a cold or something the other day. I woke up with a sore throat, which has stayed about the same, and then have added a small headache and fever. For those House watchers out there, what's the differential diagnosis? I am thinking Polio or Leprosy. That show always has a twist. I think its the first time I've been sick, at least the first time I remember being sick, so I consider myself lucky. Most of the guys have had week or two long battles with the Afghan crud that goes around. I have missed it to this point. If some of these dirty people around here would just wash their hands once in a while, I don't think I'd get sick either. I use that hand sanitizer stuff like it's water, but I guess you can never be clean enough.

We are losing one of our guys...he is heading to the Kabul airport to work with the Air Force in teaching the Afghans to fly. For some reason when I wrote that, I pictured them throwing guys off a building. See, now you just did! I digress. He is an aviator by trade and they are really short out at the airport so the Navy let him go. We will get a replacement at some point. We have a HUGE group of Navy folks coming in country soon, haven't quite figured out what they will do yet. Good news: they are here a year, someone is leaving after us! We are quickly becoming the old men of the camp...the Marines leave in a month and at that point, the 7 of us have seniority here. That and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee, but its a positive sign of progress.

1 comment:

redb1rdz said...

Well, it was a bit nerve wracking in the first inning, but Carpenter finally settled down and got the job done. Why do they insist on making things so "exciting".... Interesting to hear that someone was pulled to go help the ANA Air guys, especially since that was such a hot issue while we were there (wink, wink). Almost halfway there, we're keeping you in our thoughts. Keep the faith, go redbirds!