Saturday, October 14, 2006

I love the smell of re-bar in the morning

What a fantastic win for the Cardinals. It wasn't particularly well played, nor pretty but it got the job done. It sorta made me think of a street fight between two amateurs using rusty pipe wrenches and broken glass. Gritty, but a classic game none the less. I wonder what the Vegas line would be on So Taguchi having a slugging percentage of 4.000. Just amazing. Again, I was up at about ten minutes to 4 to get ready and watch the game, and giving up that sleep was well worth my time. Let's hope for three more good ones at home.

I think I have mentioned before that we are expanding here at the camp. We are like that neighborhood everyone wants to move into and the ones where you see houses going up in every direction. We have B-Huts (basically wooden structures that can hold people or office spaces) going up all over. They have re-bar spread out in the rectangular pattern to lay concrete for the huts at every turn here in the camp. We have one going up right outside our window, and then an entire row out back. This was a tiny little nothing of a camp, and we are doubling in size before my eyes. It's a bit disconcerting though....I'd like to think we are succeeding in our mission and that they will send more guys home, not bring more in!

I've spent my week configuring the ANA command center for internet. We finished today, and I can only imagine the mess we have to clean up in the next week as the ANA get their first taste of the world wide web. I have to get some controls in place I think.

We have an office here for just us Navy guys. Well, we got kicked out and they are moving us to an existing B-hut. I am going to spend the next couple days re-wiring our computer and phone lines, as these huts have never been used for an office before. Our next door neighbors in this hut are the French(insert white flag joke here). They are VERY new to the camp, and I don't know them very well, but they seem nice enough. At least in moving for the third time we get to keep up international relations!

Gary

No comments: